Comedy Clubs in Austin
The Comedy scene in Austin has been expanding with tremendous talent recently, attracting comedians and crowds from all over the world. When deciding on which comedy is right for you, Austin has it all, from standup to improv and sketch. Each comedy club here has their own personality so if you are unable to find one that speaks to your humor, think again because Austin has it.
Austin Stand Up Comedy
- Esther Follies: For over 40 years SNL has been answered by Austin’s Esther Follies using sketches, satire, magic and musical numbers performed by some of Austin’s most talented performers. Known as Texas’ premier magic and comedy troupe, Esther’s Follies was named after the actress Esther Williams and is located on the famous 6th Street. What makes this theatre different than any other comedy club is the way entertainers incorporate magic, singing, dancing, and juggling into their acts. This is truly your one stop shop for comedy and entertainment.
- Velveeta Room: Also, known as The Velv, expect to walk into this comedy club and experience an intimate, laugh-filled room local comics come to make a scene. Also, located on 6th Street, the stellar reputation of this club ensures you will not be disappointed, representing the funniest and best comedians from coast to coast. After 28 years of uncensored standup comedy don’t expect the show to be anything less than a hit.
- Cap City Comedy: Celebrating 31 years in Austin, The Cap City Comedy Club is the home to the nationally admired “Funniest Person in Austin” Concert, which has played a huge role in nurturing comedy in the region. Each competition is expected to draw in over 200 comedians which has increased by more than double over the years. One of the best weekly shows in Austin happens on Tuesdays called PUNCH! While Open Mic Night is reserved for every Sunday.
Improve and Sketch
- The Hideout: At the Hideout, you can expect each play to be made up on the spot. From short from too long form and every style you can think of, Hideout does it all. Thursday through Sunday improv shows will be hosted. Not only does this club perform some of the best Improv in Austin, but they teach it to others willing to learn as well. Staff has been professionally picked to make sure the right teacher will make you feel as passionate about this art as they do. If you are looking to feel emotions you have never felt, this is the place for you.
- Coldtowne: Rated as the city’s number one comedy theater by many, Coldtowne has an interesting story. After hurricane Katrina ripped through the United States back in 2005, they had no choice to evacuate New Orleans and move to Austin where the improv scene was already on the rise. Ever since then, Coldtowne has become Austin’s choice for alternative comedy. Opened 7 days a week, there’s not a bad seat in the house.
As one of the hottest comedy scenes in the nation, Austin continues to grow with providing the best performers in entertainment. Here are some other incredible comedy clubs in Austin that didn’t make the list to further prove it is the best place for comedy:
Kick-back after a night of laughs at JW Marriott Austin with our I Love Austin So Much Package. Embrace the Austin lifestyle with a welcome cocktail, Austin t-shirt, and even an interactive map of the best Instagram spots in Austin. Let us help you enjoy an authentic Austin experience during your next trip.