Experience Austin Like a Local
For visitors, there’s a seemingly endless list of tourist-y things to do in Austin. In a community whose long-promoted slogan is “Keep Austin Weird,” ATX may seem like its own world.
But where do the locals hangout?
Austin’s main tourist drags are fun and exciting, but Austinites often prefer to shop, relax, and break bread in the nooks and crannies unknown to the masses.
A Guide to Austin’s Offbeat Attractions
- Peter Pan Mini Golf – 1207 Barton Springs Rd.One of the lesser known secrets is that after dark you can bring your own beer (no glass, only cans). Bring a sixer and check out the hook-handed pirate statue!
- Spazmatics – 208 W 4th StThe ultimate 80’s show in Austin. Plays every Wednesday at Cedar Street Courtyard with enjoyable night live music
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center – 4801 La Crosse Ave.For a peaceful, family-friendly activity, head to Lady Bird Johnson’s 284-acres of well-maintained landscapes and gardens. The 2-miles of trails wind through the gorgeous Texas Hill country and are far less crowded than the trails near Barton Springs.
- Sculpture Falls – Barton Creek GreenbeltA chilling, swimming and hiking hidden gem on the Barton Creek Greenbelt in Austin loved by the locals for its fresh 70 degrees swimming hole temperatures, perfect for the Texas heat!
Eat & Drink Like a Local
There are tons of places to grab a bite in downtown Austin, but here are a few that are favorites with the locals:
- Salt and Time – 1912 E. 7th St.Tantalize your taste buds with delicious farm-to-table dining. They’re open for lunch, dinner, and brunch.
- Easy Tiger – 709 E. 6th St.6th Street is known for its lively nightlife scene, but Easy Tiger offers a more subdued alternative. Enjoy a beer in their back garden or grab a coffee and pastry snack from the back shop. They’re open until 2am.
- Stubb’s BBQ – 801 Red River St.BBQ is serious business in Austin. Although Franklin’s on E. 11th serves legendary brisket, they’re not the only game in town. Also, it’s no fun waiting hours in line when you’re already hungry. Check out Stubb’s as an alternative.
JW Austin offers some great local favorites that you won’t want to miss:
- Edge Rooftop Pool Bar – 110 E 2nd StIf you’d rather spend a day lounging around poolside, look no further than Edge. Take in stunning views of the city or rent one of our new poolside cabanas with stylish outdoor furnishings and even flat screen TV’s.
- Spa by JW – 110 E 2nd StSpa by JW is Austin’s ideal retreat for effortless relaxation. Enjoy treatments and packages that can accommodate your busy trip or utilize one of our private pods for a calm setting to zone out and relax.
I Love Austin So Much Package is perfect for those looking to enjoy an authentic Austin vacation.
- Austin Cocktail Welcome Amenity – Choose from 2 Local Craft Beers, 2 Tito’s Crafted Cocktails, or 2 Margaritas
- I Love Austin So Much T-Shirt
- Copy of 101 Things to Do in Austin Before You Die Book by Austin-ite Kristy Owen
- Interactive map of the best Instagram photo ops in Austin
- Curated list of our team’s favorite local apps to help you uncover the best live music, entertainment, & ways to get around.
Book the I Love Austin So Much Package for your next Austin getaway and see the city like a local. BOOK NOW >>