Things to Do in Austin in the Spring
Spring is a great time to visit Austin. The mild weather, ample sunshine, and blooming meadows create the perfect setting for Easter activities, celebrating Mother’s Day, cheering your favorite sports team, and enjoying the city’s numerous outdoor festivals. Below, we’ve highlighted some of the best activities to check out this spring in Austin.
Austin Spring Events
Austin Food + Wine Festival (April 28-30, 2017)
- Enjoy Demonstrations by Expert Culinary Artists such as, Aaron Sanchez, chef/owner of Johnny Sanchez restaurants, Amanda Freitag from Food Network’s Chopped, Jimmy Bannos chef/owner of Heaven on Seven, and more.
- Critically acclaimed chefs, restauranteurs, TV personalities, and cookbook authors perform demos and offer tasting sessions. Catch Tim Love’s Hands-On Grilling, wine tasting with Charles Krug, Noodling Around with Ming Tsai, and so much more!
- Indulge in artisanal foods, wine, beer, and spirits. See the full list of culinary talent here.
- This 21 + event is located at Auditorium Shores and Fair Market.
- Check out our Austin Food and Wine Festival Package to help you have the ultimate festival experience.
Easter Events (April 12-17, 2017)
- Givens Easter Egg Hunt – 4/14, 12pm-3pm, at Givens Recreation Center
- Spring Eggstravaganza Event – 4/15, 10am-12pm, at South Austin Recreation Center
- Save up to 20%Easter Weekend with our Egg-stra Savings Deal. The more you stay, the more you save!
Austin Spring Activities
Aside from events and festivals, there’s tons of fun things to do in on your own time in Austin during the spring.
- Head Over to Boardwalk Trail
- Enjoy the outdoors and serene lakeside setting at Lady Bird Lake’s Boardwalk Trail.
- Rent a kayak or canoe from Zilker Park Boat Rentals and enjoy a relaxing afternoon on the water.
- Mother’s Day Weekend at JW Marriott Austin
- Reserve your overnight stay and spoil Mom with our Mother’s Day Package that includes deluxe accommodations, champagne, and late check out.
- Spa by JW Specials: treat Mom to a soothing afternoon of pampering at our brand-new spa, then relax poolside at our Rooftop Pool and Cabanas
- Sunday Brunch at Osteria Pronto: Executive Chef Ramirez, recently named one of Austin’s most innovative chefs by the Huffington Post, has prepared a special feast just for Mom. Enjoy our custom brunch buffet, assorted desserts, and great atmosphere.
- See the State Flower in Full Bloom at Lady Bird Johnson Wildlife Center
- Explore the family garden and keep an eye out for bluebonnets.
- There’s a café and gift shop, and the center offers a variety of special events everyone will enjoy.
- Go for a Refreshing Dip in Barton Springs Pool
- It’s always a comfortable 68-70 degrees
- Explore the Themed Gardens at Zilker Botanical Gardens
- Located on the Southbank of the Colorado River, the gardens stretch across 26 acres of mixed terrain.
- Among the various themes, you’ll find a Japanese-inspired garden, an herb and fragrance garden, and a butterfly garden.
- Kids love Hartman Prehistoric Garden, where dinosaurs once roamed!
- Pecan Street Festival May 6th 7th
- One of the largest, and longest-running arts and music festivals in the nation
- This year marks the 40th anniversary and will host over 300 local and national arts, crafts, and food vendors, 50 musical acts, and 250,000 attendees over the course of two days
- The Festival is the only free large festival in Austin and all proceeds from the event go towards the preservation of historic 6th Street in Downtown Austin
- Derby in the City Music Festival
- As Louisville gears up for “the most exciting 2 minutes in sports,” Austin is preparing for what Austin does best: a music festival
- The Derby will be aired on a jumbotron along with several flat screen TV’s at the Austin American Statesman on May 6th
- Come dressed in your Derby best while artist like Citizen Cope, Black Pistol Fire, The Waters, and more play throughout the day
- Unplugged at The Grove: 2017 Music Series
- Every Thursday night at 8pm Shady Grove hosts Austin’s longest running free live music series
- There is no cover and all ages are welcome to come enjoy the best live music Austin has to offer, signature patio menu, and refreshing drink specials.